We are one family. One family . . . by blood or marriage or friendship. We live in the same small town in Central Illinois. We are moms and daughters. We are sisters and cousins. We are grandmas and wives and aunties.

We all love to quilt and were raised to believe that a girl should always wear her undershirt. And, on those days when you
wear a dress, a petticoat is always in order. This is where you'll find photos and stories of our quilting adventures.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Picnic Quilt




This quilt began with my admiration of a colorful Moda "honey bun" while visiting my favorite little quilt shop...Main Street Quilt Shop in Shelbyville, Illinois.  It was raining.  I wandered in the squeaky door, stamped the raindrops from my rubber boots and saw it.  I strolled up to the shelf.  Picked up the fabric spiral.  Thought, "hmmmmmm?"  Placed it once again on the shelf.  Walked away and wandered through all the other displays of beautiful bolts.  I couldn't stop thinking about the possibilities of all those cute 1 1/2" strips.  I walked back to the shelf.  This time looking up and spying the daisy/black-eyed susan print poised on the self above.  What can I say...I had to have them.  No fabric dieting that day! 

I didn't have a plan for my purchase, just hope that inspiration would come.  After lunch with Alan at the Courthouse Diner and a sleepy drive home to the rhythm of the windshield wipers, I returned to my sewing room and unrolled the "honey bun."  I ironed each strip, placed them in rows across the table, rearranged them and moved them again.  A little sketching, multiplying and dividing on graph paper and an idea came to me.  So, I shrugged my shoulders and switched on the sewing machine.

I kept sewing, added some white fabric from my stash and didn't quit until I had created this very large quilt that is probably my favorite.  One problem, the design was best suited to remain a square.  Don't see too many square beds anywhere!  Oh well, we dubbed it a picnic blanket and plan to put it into use next summer.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment